Yield: 8 to 10 servings
Time: Prep: 30 Minutes
Cook: 3 Hours
- Preheat oven to 325 Degrees
- Combine olive oil, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper in a small bowl mix thoroughly and rub the mixture all over the brisket
- Place the brisket, fat side up, in Dutch oven with a tight fitting lid. Add onions, carrots and bay leaves around the brisket
- Combine tomato paste, beef broth, crushed tomatoes, and red wine. Mix together and pour over the brisket. The liquid should cover the brisket and most of the vegetables. Cover the Dutch Oven and cool for 3 to 3.5 hours, or until the brisket is very tender.
- Remove the brisket from the Ducth Oven immediately, cover with loosely tented foil and let rest for 20 to 30 minutes.
- While brisket is resting, simmer the remaining liquids and vegetables in the Dutch Oven over medium-high heat on the stove top to allow the liquids to reduce, approximately 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Slice the brisket neatly across the grain, return it to the Dutch Oven, remove bay leaves and serve
If you are serving the brisket the next day, let it cool then place the entire Dutch Oven into the refrigerator. About an hour before serving, remove from the refrigerator, skim off some of the solidified fat, then remove the brisket and slice across the grain. Return slices to the Dutch Oven and reheat the brisket on the stop top over medium-low heat, or in the oven at 325 degrees, adjust seasoning as needed and serve.